Thursday 22 May 2014

Lamb Kofta, Pitta Bread, Tabbouleh and Raita.



So a while ago I said I would post savoury stuff soon, but I haven't really managed. I have been cooking plenty, and usually trying something different once a week or so, but I just haven't managed to do step by step photos. Especially since by the time I make a meal like the one I had on Tuesday night, I'm not really up for writing up full descriptors afterwards. As you can see, there were lots of different elements to the meal:

From upper left going clockwise: pitta bread, lamb kofta, tabbouleh, hoummus, raita, butter, and gem lettuce.
And I just couldn't manage to take photos along the way, look after children, and create this meal.

But I snapped a photo at the end, as it did all look so pretty together. I had leftovers for my lunch at work today and felt quite proud bringing it in. Then my colleague said her boyfriend had made paella the night before and I felt somewhat less smug about my cooking.

The only thing I didn't even attempt myself was the hoummus/hummus. Every time I make it myself it just ends up too pasty, too lemony, too oily...too pointless to make myself since supermarkets do such a great job of making tubs of it available everywhere. If you think you could convert me with your own recipe for it, please offer it here.

But if you want any of the other recipes, just click below on the links or read below for Joy of Cooking's Tabbouleh.

Lamb Koftas - I omitted mint (I already had it in the raita and the tabbouleh) and added paprika
Pitta bread - the recipe buried at the bottom of my falafel post
Raita

Tabbouleh

Combine in a large bowl:
160g bulgar wheat
500ml boiling water

Cover and let stand for 30 minutes, then drain any excess water using a sieve, pressing down with a wooden spoon if necessary. Return to the bowl.

In a small food processor pulse until a rough puree is formed:
1 medium onion
1 packet parsley
1 packet mint

Stir this into the bulgar wheat. Add

1 small pack cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 a cucumber, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
a good grinding of black pepper

Whisk together
juice of 2 lemons
80ml olive oil

Add to the bulgar and toss to coat. Serve alongside leaves of gem lettuce.




No comments:

Post a Comment