Monday 3 November 2014

Quick Dinner Rolls

"Do you still do that cooking blog?" asked someone recently.

"Er...no...but I will," I feebly replied. But when? I guess it has been a while. I've still been cooking, and trying new things, but you know, there's three little people living with me, two of which are running around naked as I write this, and they somewhat get in the way of things.

But I had a good weekend and am ready to attempt this bloggy thing once more. Good because we weren't rushing everywhere trying to do lots of things, we just stayed in for the most part and yesterday Robert skipped his nap and went to bed before seven and ohmygoditwasamazingIhadaneveningtoactuallyjustsitandread!!!!

To celebrate this good fortune, we decided to make burgers today. My husband is usually in charge of the burgers themselves, and he volunteered to make them today, so my job was just to make a side dish of taboulleh and to make the rolls for the burgers. I googled the internet for a quick roll recipe that I could make before picking the kids up from school and came up with these.

If I had been paying attention I would have cut out the sugar, but I wasn't, so I didn't. So instead here's what I did.

Some water, yeast, oil, sugar, and water went into a bowl. Just easy blend yeast, because it takes the pressure off. It's a whole lotta yeast, enough to raise the dead. I've never seen fresh yeast for sale here, but hopefully will find it one day.


This cute guy was there to watch.


After ten minutes, the mixture was officially alive in a freaky Frankenstein's monster kind of way.


So in went 2/3 of the flour, salt, and an egg. I think the egg and oil helps it be more bun like rather than crusty.


It was an unappetizing gloopy mess.


So I put in more flour. That would hopefully make it less gloopy.


Magically it began to look more bread dough like.


So onto the counter top it went for a bit of kneading.


 I lost patience after about five minutes and left it. It did look smoother and felt a bit tougher, but I had a fractious toddler on my hip who wasn't down with me kneading.


I was ready to let it rise as a huge ball but then I checked the recipe and it said to cut into 12 pieces, so I done did that there then like so.



I'm not verra good at making them into perfect spheres. Here they are after 10 minutes of rising, ready to be buns in my oven.


And after a few minutes, voila! Dinner rolls for da burgers! I think they could have done with a couple minutes more, but Paul Hollywood wasn't there to tell me off and we ate them anyway.


Here they are in all their sliced glory.


And here they are with the other schtuff...except for the burgers, as they were cooking behind me when I took the photo.



And if you want to make "30 minute dinner rolls", just do as KitchenMeetsGirl suggests below:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine the warm water, oil, yeast, and sugar. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes, until it is frothy and freaky
  3. Mix 2 cups of the flour, the salt, and the egg into the yeast mixture. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour 1/2 cup at a time, kneading it in until you get a workable dough
  4. Shape dough into 12 balls and place on a baking tray. Let dough rise for 10 minutes.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are just golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment