Saturday 16 May 2020

Candied Lemon Peel - First Trial, Needs Work



Ingredients:

1 Lemon, thinly sliced
1 cup caster sugar

Method:

1) Put lemon into cold water and bring to a boil. Drain.

2) Combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon and simmer for one hour, until lemon slices are translucent.

3) Carefully remove slices and place on parchment to cool.

Musings:

In no way do I think candied peel is for everybody. One of my children picks out out of his hot cross buns, and many others I know find it the worst part of their Christmas pudding. But I personally love it, and want to be able to make my own since the shop bought options are so miserable these days. You used to be able to easily purchase whole pieces of candied fruit (in admittedly dusty boxes), but now you can only get microscopic candied peel in mixed, bland tubs.

One of the standard bakes that I find pleases most crowds is a Lemon Drizzle Cake, but it can often be left looking quite drab next to other options. I thought I should try my hand at making candied peel so that I can pimp it up when necessary.

This recipe wasn't awful, but it wasn't amazing, either. I think more cooking of the peel is required, so will probably try this recipe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment