Saturday 18 January 2014

Fresh Raspberry & White Chocolate Cookies

Stupid Pinterest.

I'd pinned a recipe that had been labelled "raspberry cream cheese cookies" and was all excited, as I thought, you know, that it would have CREAM CHEESE in it. Then the men's group teas and coffees Sunday rolled up and I thought "hey, I have some cream cheese and some raspberries, I'll check what else I need..." only to find...no cream cheese in the recipe. 

Now, I have nothing against white chocolate chips in cookies, it was just that the combination of the photo, the raspberries, and the mention of cream cheese were what made me pin the recipe. But, in spite of this misleading name, I still felt obliged to make the recipe. 

Was the whole thing a con? You help me decide.

Begrudgingly, I got together the ingredients. You'll notice there are two different types of white chocolate, as I wasn't sure how much the chopped up big bar would make, so I grabbed the milky bar buttons to bulk them up.


For once, and probably just because I was doing photos, I combined the flour, salt and raising agents in a separate bowl, mixed them up, and set them aside.


Next, in went some melted butter and sugar. It was a one handed job kind of day (thanks, baby/toddler), so we used the vintage stand mixer.


I do like it when recipes ask for melted butter. I hate having to get it to room temperature first.


And then I cracked open an egg and a yolk. Aren't they nice and bright?


In they went.


Until all was purdy and smooth. I can't say I like the plastic bowl, but I think the original bowl that came with this mixer was glass and shattered many moons ago. I still don't have a dough hook for this mixer, but I may just try this attachment and see what kind of job it does with bread dough.


Then in went vanilla in it's creepy ghostly form.


Then the flour mix. You'll notice the change in lighting, as I took the bowl out of the stand and mixed by hand as a small child emptied the cupboards.


Then we had some cookie dough.


So I added a half cup of chocolate chips. The handle is broken off of my half cup measure...and my 1 cup measure. One day I'll get nice metal ones with the measurements indented into the handle, but not today.


Also, some frozen raspberries.


At this point, I kind of wondered why I was bothering to make cookies...Why not just eat raspberries and white chocolate?


Oh well, what's done is done.


It said freeze the dough for a bit, but I was too impatient, so I just rolled it into large balls of dough and placed them on the sheets.


She said that I should cook them for 15 minutes at a low temp and they would look underbaked, so I followed her orders.



Samples revealed that a bit more baking wouldn't hurt them, as the raspberries do add a lot of moisture, so I cooked the others a bit longer.


So yes, they were good, very good, but they weren't actually cookies containing cream cheese, so I still feel slightly cheated. And I think you'd need to eat them pretty soon before the moisture of the raspberries takes hold and makes them spoil. Bummer, huh?

Recipe from Anecdotes and Apples

2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup chopped white chocolate
Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and melted butter (about 2 minutes). Add eggs and stir until combined. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until a cookie dough begins to form. Fold in frozen raspberries and white chocolate. Allow batter to chill for 15-30 minutes in freezer.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove batter from freezer and firm into large, 2-3 tablespoon sized balls of dough. Arrange on prepared cookie sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes (cookies should look slightly undercooked). Allow to cool completely on cookie sheets before removing (and enjoying!)

No comments:

Post a Comment