Saturday 26 October 2013

Waffles

If you've ever read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, you may recall that one of the first lines is "It was Saturday morning, pancake morning."  Since my children discovered this book, and adopted a nursery/school schedule, Saturday morning is official "pancake" morning.  I use quotations marks just around the word "pancake" because it is not always pancakes that we make.  Two times out of three, yes, but today it was waffles instead.

My daughter prefers waffles as she says they are easier to cut up with all the lines on them.  My son prefers pancakes as he insists he gets more nutella on them than he does on waffles.

I, myself, don't really have a set preference, but they do make me think of a friend in college who adored them and would stare at the college waffle iron in blissful wonder.

The recipe is not an amazing, life-altering gourmet one, but it is a simple and easy one, the first one offered in the waffles section of Joy of Cooking.  I hope my waffle mix at least measures up to the mystery mix served in jugs alongside the waffle irons in Burton, though I've not tasted Carleton's recently to assess it.  Nor can I guarantee mine measures up against the Waffle House batter, a chain I visited for the first time on my most recent Stateside trip.  All I can say is that we like our waffles.

First you combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder and whisk together.

Then 3 eggs, butter (however much or little you like, basically), milk, and a dash of vanilla are added.  I have tried it with buttermilk before, but I actually prefer regular milk in this recipe.


A quick whisking of wet and dry ingredients together.


Until you have a lumpy batter.  Lumpy is good.


Into the hot waffle iron it goes, and out it comes as this!  I like butter and maple syrup, but the kids prefer nutella.


Recipe to be added on later when I'm not so tired from children playing musical beds...

Right, refreshed and ready (thank you, clocks changing):

Recipe

Ingredients

245g plain flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
60-225g butter, melted
375ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Method

Preheat your waffle iron.  Sorry, you really do need a waffle iron or these just aren't going to happen.

Blearily measure out ingredients and whisk them together.  Take care not to over stir the mix.

Pour into the preheated waffle iron and cook until the iron tells you in some magical way (ours beeps) that the waffle is ready.  Cut it in half so that your squabbling children each get part of the first one.  Serve with whatever toppings you have or desire.  And try, if you can muster then energy, to clean the bowl straight afterwards as it will be a LOT easier to clean if you don't let it crust over while you drink tea and contemplate being productive while you in fact check facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment